Monday, February 28, 2011

And the Winner is....


KAREN AKINS!!!!

My sweet husband, although confused why I'd have a "contest" on my blog, read each entry and very carefully considered his choice. I should have seen this coming. He is very analytical. He took the idea that it was a "first kiss" very seriously. He made it clear that Karen's entry seemed to feel most to him like what a first kiss would be like. So...here it is. Karen't winning first kiss! :)


“So…were you ever planning on kissing me?” I asked.

Real romantic, I know.

Craig Campbell ponied up, over-exuberant tongue and all. It’s interesting the details I remember. Our porch light was burnt out. We were the same height (not hard as I’ve always been a freakin’ Amazon, even at seventeen). Looking back from my thirty-two-year-old skin, I realize the kiss stopped meaning something for me three minutes into it. Hubbykins’ pecks and end-of-the-workday quick smooches hold more depth and passion than that fumbled mashing of lips and teeth.

But that’s not what first kisses are for, now is it?


Fun huh? Loved it Karen.

The other 2 amazing women who entered...Thank you! Thank you for being a part of my first contest, and thank you for reading my ramblings. Your entries were also great, it was a toughie! I'm glad he was doing it, not me!! :)

AND, I finally feel better. Seriously, I haven't been down that long for...well, ever I don't think. It was bad. I had felt completely out of control for the past week. Life has been stressful lately, and being sick on top of it was the icing on the cake. So, yesterday, feeling a little better I had to act. I cleaned the heck out of my kitchen. I mean took it apart, and put it back together. About 15% of the crap in my kitchen is GONE! (Hello goodwill). Of what remains, about 60% is in a brand new place. It's more functional, its more attractive. (It's a little hard to get used too.) But man it felt good.

I was telling my sister in law about it on the phone and she nailed it when she said "sometimes I have to start a project just to see something to completion." Or something along those lines. But YES! I seem to have so little control over so many things in my life right now. Or, the things I can control seem so big, overwhelming and hard. (Hello manuscript, how are you?) I just needed to feel good about something. ANYTHING!

And it did feel good. My husband thought I was insane. It wasn't even planned. I was just unloading the dishwasher and didn't have room for the last mug. That was it. I started ripping things from cabinets, and tossing things into a trash bag like a mad woman. Before I knew it every surface in my kitchen was covered with food, dish or appliance. Obviously, that was the point I was ready to quit. (Doesn't it always work that way.) But no, I was in too deep. I couldn't leave the mess, so I methodically arranged a new order and put it all away. Cleaning and vacuuming as I went.

Needless to say, I want and need to do that to every corner of my home. Closets, laundry rooms, bathrooms. I think I'm feeling the spring cleaning bug. I'm feeling it not only with the tangible things, like my home. I'm feeling in my life. The need to clear out some cobwebs from my mind, my heart, and my relationships. I'm feeling the need to be honest and put myself out there.

Winter to me is about hibernating in so many ways, not just physically. I emotionally hibernate. I don't talk to my friends as much, or my mother even. I go inward. It becomes depressing.

Saturday night we went to my sons Cub Scout Blue and Gold Ceremony. (Yay he got his tiger badge!!) I stood there talking to all the other parents thinking, "gosh it feels good to be in public and engaging with people." After I got ready and put makeup on, I actually said to my husband..."did you forget I could look decent?" OMG, how sad is that? Please tell me I'm not alone. Being a mom, who owns a seasonal business (winter NOT being the busy time) it is so easy to fall into a pit. Throw 165 snow days and a house full of sickness on top and you've got yourself a perfect storm baby!

I'm telling that storm to take a hike. I'm ready for spring. Ready for green, ready for blue, ready for yellow. I'm ready for productiveness.

I don't think it's a coincidence I fell back on that old ms the other day. I needed something fresh, and I'm in love with it right now.

Now I need to decide if I should take it to my crit group tonight. Oh I can't tell you how HAPPY I am that I have that tonight!!

Happy Monday!
 
© My Writing Blog
CoffeeShop Designs
Background Damask Pattern By Sassy Designs