Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Back, Back - Forth and Forth


Remember that song? I loved Aaliyah.

So, here is the question. You're working on your WIP, but you have an unfinished piece that keeps bugging. It comes into mind while you're driving, while you're falling asleep, while you're taking a shower. Sometimes it comes to mind more often then the ms you're actually trying to finish. Or maybe, maybe, it's something new all together. Maybe a great new idea that you can't shove off.

What do you do?

Do you go back? Change it up, just get out what you can since obviously it is begging you too?

I started a piece back in the summer of 2007 and loved it right off. Wrote about 5 chapters and then stopped. For a long while. However, it has never left me. The story continued to build in my mind over the course of 3 years until last summer when I thought of my current wip. I started it.

Slowly, the previous work started to call me back. I haven't let myself open it though, and I'm starting to wonder why. There is no right and wrong in this process. I have read Keirsten talk many times about how you should "enjoy the journey" because once your signed it's a job.

It's not a job for me. It may NEVER be. I can do whatever the heck I want. But I don't. I'm considering opening it today. I'm feeling the pull. I feel like I could bust out 10,000 words today if I wanted. But should I ? Why am I stressing this?

Because I am stressed.

Being sick has made me feel despair. Don't ask. I can't explain other than to say...you know that feeling of being sick-feeling like garbage-then not showering for a few days-feeling like more garbage because your dirty-wallowing in self pity because your sick, dirty, and miserable-every dish in your kitchen is dirty-so on, and so on, and so on.

No? Never been there? If you've ever been home with a new baby you should know what I'm talking about. Especially a new baby with an older child at home. The self pity compounds itself until you have an overwhelming helplessness hanging over you like a cloud.

Wow, where did that come from? Well, you know where I'm at emotionally don't you?!

If you choose to never come back after reading this...so be it. Please do though!!

I'm just in a funk, and I think that's where the need to do something new is coming from. So, the question is...(wow what a circle to get back to this question!) should I go back and work on the old piece? Have you ever done that?

Tell me to stop worrying about nonsense like this.

Off to take a shower....and plot out this old story some more. sheesh! I'm even going to do my hair and makeup darn it! TAKE THAT 'sorry for yourselves'!

Oh, and DONT FORGET to enter the kissing contest to win Anna and the French Kiss....down below!!! Can't wait to get that book!!

Image source HERE
 
© My Writing Blog
CoffeeShop Designs
Background Damask Pattern By Sassy Designs