Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sometimes Books Suck

I'm a mother of 3 boys.
I am a photographer.
I am a wife.
I have a home to take care of. Point being...I have a lot of things I should be doing.

I also really like to read.

Sometimes, I start reading a book and for whatever reason- it's not working.

What do I do? Well, I used to just finish it anyway. I felt bad for the author.

"Someone obviously liked this book...it's published?" I would think to myself. "It will probably get better, I just need to give it a chance!" Or I would feel like I had already devoted so much time to it I needed to finish it to justify that time spent.

I don't do that anymore. If I'm not into the book....I STOP! I cant justify it anymore. I'm already lacking hours in the day, I already spend WAY too much of the hours reading or writing, (or internet browsing).

Recently I even stopped reading a book 2 chapters from the end! Everything that I cared about had already been resolved...I didn't CARE anymore. That's a big one, sometimes books aren't so much bad, but I just. don't. care.

I think that is a fear of mine...someone feeling that way about something I write. yikes!

What do you do when you're not feeling the book you're reading? Do you give that author another try later?
 
© My Writing Blog
CoffeeShop Designs
Background Damask Pattern By Sassy Designs