Thursday, January 13, 2011

I love *Books*

My reading obsession is sort of a problem. Just ask my dear husband...he could probably go on and on about this subject.

Actually no, he doesn't EVER go on and on...that is not his style. (This is whee we differ...greatly!) He would admit it's a problem though.

It seems appropriate to me to share my reading obsession here on my writing blog, because I'm going to guess anyone who cares to read it probably has a pretty decent reading obsession of their own. Yes?

So, I'm going to start by pointing out a few of my favorite YA books I've read the past couple of years.


The Luxe Series by Anna Godberson

First- I love anything remotely historical, so all I had to do was take one look at these and it was a done deal. I loved these books and loved the characters. Now. I had a slight issue with the way this series ended. I don't know if it's how I would have chosen it to end, but I have to admit that it was probably the right way to end. Make sense? Her new book Bright YOung Things is out now and I will be getting it soon!

Gemma Doyle Series by Libba Bray



I loved these. LOVED. Again, set in a historical setting but mixed with a fantasy world that becomes so real that I could probably draw a picture of it. In fact, just now I went to her site to get a link and she had a map of the school this is set in and it nearly matched what I saw in my head EXACTLY. To me that is real talent. She effortlessly makes everything so easy to see.

This was written in 1st Person/Present tense which I think would be soooo incredibly hard to stick with and to be honest it doesn't always work for me...but it totally works for these books. I was completely drawn in.

The Skylar Holt Series by Stephanie Morrill









I loved these books! Stephanie creates modern high school life perfectly and pulls a christian theme in without being unrealistic or goody goody. She doesn't leave out the ugliness of teen life or have her characters avoid it. Being a teen and a christian is hard and she deal with this so well. Skylar is a real girl, with real emotions and the secondary characters are wonderful, I loved and hated them at the same time. :) (Well, to be fair some of them I loved all the way through!!) I would be comfortable giving this to anyone I know between the ages of 14 and...well 100!

Her writing style feels effortless and it was fun to read because we live in the same town...which also happens to be the setting for this novel. :) Really enjoyed this. Oh, and Stephanie is a wonderful person and has a great blog for young writers HERE.


The House of Night Series by PC and Kristen Cast


On a completely different note...The House of Night.

Now. (pause for dramatic effect)

I'm kind of over the whole "I'm a teen, I discovered a secret power and am shipped away to a secret high school with other people who are weird like me and I then save the world."

That being said, this is the first one of "those" I read so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt. Oh, and I enjoy it so there!

(If you're writing one of "those" books...please ignore me. I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. AND, i'll probably still like your book. I just read too many of this theme in a short time period and had to take a break!)

Ok, on to these books.

I love that it's a mother/daughter team. I'm a sucker for a love triangle, and this is a love octagon or something. I mean, this girl is in a pickle when it comes to boys. (We've all had this problem right?;)) I love the world they have created, this books feels dark and the characters are yummy! I actually have the 2 last books to read still and need to get to them soon!

Many more that I could add...but my laundry pile is putting off toxic fumes so I must wrap it up! Any YA favorites????
 
© My Writing Blog
CoffeeShop Designs
Background Damask Pattern By Sassy Designs