Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Warning: I'm about to GUSH!

gush
intransitive verb
1: to issue copiously or violently
2: to emit a sudden copious flow
3: to make an effusive display of affection or enthusiasm <an aunt gushing over the baby>


I just read the. best. book.

Seriously. Sometimes you read and book and after wards you feel compelled. compelled to do what? I don't know. Just compelled. To Google history, to tell your friends, to hug your children, work on your wip.

This book compelled me.

The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly.

It was sooooo good. It falls into the genre I've heard described as "historical fiction with a strong romantic element". AKA as The perfect genre for me.

In my world, it doesn't get any better than this. Drama, despair, happiness, love, excitement....but with the perfect ending.  Jennifer Donnelly plotting is spot on. I was fully engaged the whole entire time. I'll admit, the overall story line is somewhat formulaic for a romance, but it is the formula I love best. Opposites attract, fall in love, drama ensues, mistakes a re made, misunderstanding, separation, pain, suffering, finding out the truth....blah, blah, blah. I won't give it ALL to you.

Along side this 'old as time' formula is the most amazing details. The setting is turn of the century London. Need I say more? A woman from a wealthy upbringing wanting to do good crossing paths with the biggest "gang leader" of lower class London. You had me there. Done.

It's not a short novel...and I read it in about 24 hours. Yes, yes I did. I'm not ashamed. My kids DID have clean clothes to wear to school today.

This book is part of a trilogy, the first one titled The Tea Rose. I haven't read it. I should have, because it sounds amazing. The third, The Wild Rose comes out in August and i will be at the book store on release day. BELIEVE ME! I can't wait.

Jennifer also released a historical YA novel last year that looks really good also. Revolution.
 
© My Writing Blog
CoffeeShop Designs
Background Damask Pattern By Sassy Designs