Friday, March 30, 2012

Yay Spring...Yay Books!

The weather round these parts has been glorious! I know I'm not winter person, but the emotions that I feel during the first few beautiful days of Spring weather always catch me by surprise. It's such an inspirational time of rebirth and inspiration. Does anyone else experience this. I allow many things to plague me through the winter months but Spring is like a salvation. I know this is all very dramatic and over the top, but that's really how it feels to me.

I'm sure a lot of it stems from the fact that my business goes dormant in Winter, leaving me feeling a little useless...and well, a lot broke by the time Spring rolls around. I know that useless feeling is unwarranted, since I am still a mother, wife, writer and homemaker. But I can't help it. I need to feel like I'm producing something that is bettering our family. Now that I'm shooting again, it feels so good.

I'm also writing. Tons. I'm nearly done with my wip and I'm so happy I could scream. I love the characters, love the story, love that it's almost to "The End". So, as we all know, it can really get started! I'm actually very excited to do edits and revisions. Very excited. I think I'll be one of those people that enjoy that process the best.

On to other things, I've read some fantastic books lately. Thought I'd share.


1. Bright Young Things  Anna Godbersen

I adored this book. It's historical, prohibition, speak easy's, it's YA, there's drama and hot boys. Seriously? The only thing that could ruin it would be the writing...but no, Anna has not failed me yet. I loved the Luxe series (which I wrote about last year) and I know I will love the BYT series as well. 



2. Born Wicked  Jessica Spotswood

I will use one word to describe this. Yummy! That's how I felt. In some ways, this book is very complex. It's about witches and a very male dominated suppressive world. It really taps into some deep rooted issues that pertain to our world today, I think. I love this about it. I love how she writes it, but at the same time it's incredibly simple. I mean that in a positive way. It's just simply pleasurable and easy to read. Now, I can see where the following books may not be described this way. I can tell that things are sort of "just getting started" so to speak. That being said, I think Jessica has a writing style that is not fluffy, or full of useless jargon. I don't even know what that means! haha But I just felt like she nailed this one. It seemed like an ideal young adult book. Enough mature conflict and theme to please an adult, but the perfect voice, writing style and motivation for a teenager. If you can't tell....I loved it!!


3. Lola and the Boy Next Door  Stephanie Perkins

Oh Lola. Can you make me some clothes? Can you do my hair? Something? I want a little more Lola in my everyday life. Anyone else? What a fantastic character.
I loved this story as much, if not a smidge more than Anna ATFK. But I have to confess something. I loved Cricket, and she without a doubt made the right choice...but who else had a little bit of a crush on Max??? It must be a deep psychological issue of mine, but I have a weakness for the bad boy. What is wrong with me? But at the same time, I don't think Max was BAD, per se. He was just older, and wrong for her. But in my world, after they broke up, I was the older woman he saw while he was gone. Just sayin...

Feel free to judge me on that last comment!!! :)



 
© My Writing Blog
CoffeeShop Designs
Background Damask Pattern By Sassy Designs