Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Top 10 Favorite Series

As all writers, or anyone for that matter do, I've been questioning my abilities. Am I good enough? Is my voice strong enough? Is my idea unique, big,or  interesting enough? Ugh. It's a constant nag in my mind. I know I'm not alone in this, and from what I've read, this ugliness doesn't cease with agent, publication, or multiple publications. (So let's get comfortable with this feeling, folks!)

Any way, this line of thought got me thinking about some of my favorites books. I wanted to share, but there are many. So I thought I'd break them into groups. The following are my favorite series. Oh, and I'm sure after I click "publish" more will come to mind. Whatcha gonna do?

1. Harry Potter  JK Rowling. 
    This really needs no explanation, seeing as everyone in the universe loves this series. If they don't, they're
crazy! During my prego/birthing/breastfeeding/madness years, this was nearly the only book series I read. Or book at all for that matter. It was a rough time for this book lover. But I'll tell you this. Nearly every book came out during a time of one of my babies due dates, but come hell or high water, this huge pregnant girl got herself out of bed early in the AM to get herself to Target and get her reserved copy. Oh yes she did!




2. Outlander Diana Gabaldon
    I'm about to get sentimental up in here. I love these characters with every cell of my being. LOVE them. Jamie and Claire are real to me folks. Real. This series has a huge cult following, and let's be honest, it has it's critics because Diana does not hold back. (If you've read it, you know what I mean.) But that is exactly what I love about these books. They are real, raw, and perfect in every way. And long. Yay! I'm gonna forgive her for making us wait so long, because perfection is worth waiting for. Plus I've seen her speak in person, and her writing process is insanely unique and awesome. Do your thing, I'll be waiting!



3. The Rose Trilogy Jennifer Donnelly
    I wish every book I read captivated me like these did. First off, historical is an easy sell for this girl. It's my go to flavor, every time. She put me in this time and place so effortlessly, I nearly had to blink my eyes to get myself back in to 2012 (or whatever it was at that time.). My poor children...because I was gone. I loved ALL three books protagonists but I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for Syd.  *sigh* I fell in love. I really did. If you like suspense, romance, history and amazing tension...try these books. You will not be disappointed.

photo from www.cobwebcorner.blogspot.com

4. Wideacre Philippa Gregory
   If there is one character I LOVE to hate and hate to love, it's Beatrice Lacey from Widacre. How twisted the tale is. But oh Ralph. I adore him. Once again, this has some (clears throat) morality issues, but get over it. These books are insanely amazing.  In fact, I need to do a reread.


5. Pillars of the Earth  Ken Follett
  I'll go on record saying that I don't often read books written by male authors. This is not a concious choice, it's just a fact. I would guess because most of the genre's I enjoy are written by women. This is one of those exceptions. Good heaven's I loved this book and it's sequel World Without End. I really don't know which I liked better. They were both amazing. Have you seen the miniseries for Pillars??? Terrific!! Reader insight...he has a character map on his website that makes me want to weep!
 6. Sugar Daddy Lisa Kleypas
   When someone asks me for a book suggestion, this is what I go to. EVERYONE loves it. The story is touching, the characters beautifully developed, the guys hot, and the ummmm, physical interactions are really good. *grin* Lisa Kleypas is one of my favorite romance authors, historical and contemporary. I could read these books over and over.


7. Black Dagger Brotherhood  J.R. Ward
   This is where you need to check your judgement at the door, because I'm not having it! These books will draw you in like nobody's business. I love when I find a fellow fan, and we can discuss with glee. It's like we have a wonderful dirty secret!!  (OLBFF? You feel me?) J.R. knows how to spin a tale and tap into every woman's fantasy. I'll admit the gangster lingo makes me laugh sometimes, I would now have it no other way. I love these guys and their shellans! ;)


8. Gardella Vampire Chronicles Colleen Gleason
    Vampires, slayers, and cute boys. I'll take it. I believe the author herself has called this series Buffy meets Pride and Prejudice and I agree. Fancy balls, stakes hidden in her dress, and a sexy love triangle. Sold. This series is really exceptional! I read it after the first three had been released and I recall driving to Borders three times in a week. (R.I.P Borders)

photo www.ibeeeg.blogspot.com


9. The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins
    Yes, I loved this series, as did many of you. It was so different. I was pulled right in, eyes wide through the whole thing. Want to know something ridiculous? I still haven't seen the movie. UGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  Right? At this point I'll be waiting for the DVD. I know, I know.




10. Twilight Stephenie Meyer
     I know it has become the thing, especially in the writing community, to discount these books as 'not good'. I don't agree. These books sucked me in with the rest of the world. Do i feel as strongly now? No, I don't. Do i want to re-read? Not really. In fact, I didn't even see the last movie in the theater either.  But I can't deny that I fell in love with Edward Cullen. For the way i ripped through these four books, it would be disingenuous not to include them in this list.




  
 
© My Writing Blog
CoffeeShop Designs
Background Damask Pattern By Sassy Designs