Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A long time...and a Review of STRENGTH! :)

Wow...it's been quite some time. When it comes to blogging, it seems the longer I go, the harder it is to come back. I lose my blogging voice, I fear. Trying to get it back, and this is the first step! :)

So, I finished up a long revision (eek!) and have been reading like a fiend. I have a lot of books to share, and I'll start with this one!

STRENGTH Mark of Nexus Book 1 by Carrie Butler



First, can we have a moment of silence for this cover.............................................................................


Ok, moving on. I was super lucky to receive an ARC of this book back in February and I zoomed through it. Here's what it's about...

When college student Rena Collins finds herself nose-to-chest with the campus outcast, her rumor-laced notions are shattered. Handsome, considerate, and seemingly sane, Wallace Blake doesn’t look like he spends his nights alone, screaming and banging on the walls of his dorm room. Hell, he doesn’t look like he spends his nights alone, period.

Too curious for her own good, Rena vows to uncover the truth behind Wallace’s madman reputation—and how two seconds of contact had left her with bruises. Of course, there are a few setbacks along the way: guilt, admiration, feelings of the warm and fuzzy variety…

Not to mention the unwanted attention of Wallace's powerful, supernaturally-gifted family.

They’re a bloodline divided by opposing ideals, two soon-to-be warring factions that live in secret among us. When Rena ends up caught in their crossfire, Wallace has no choice but to save her by using his powers. Now they’re really in trouble. With war on the horizon and Rena’s life in the balance, he needs to put some distance between them. But Rena won’t let go. If fighting is what it takes to prove her own strength and keep Wallace in her life, then that’s what she’ll do—even if it means risking a whole lot more than her heart.


Exciting right? I was hooked at the beginning with the "mysterious" Wallace. And what is it with those boys that we should ABSOLUTELY STAY AWAY FROM? *sigh*

True to form with my reviews...I don't give a lot away, but I'll tell you what I loved about both characters.

Rena: There are a lot of passive, "I don't want things to happen to me, but they do, so I deal with them and I happen to do it awesomely" female heroines in action/paranormal novels. That's fine, and I LOVE some of them, but Rena is different. She's not interested in waiting, she's aggressive and knows what she wants and I liked that about her immensely. It was refreshing, and despite Wallace's strength, he was no match for Rena! :)

Wallace: Uhhhh, super hot guy that is so strong he shouldn't touch you? Yeah, I shouldn't have to say too much. Wallace is like the Lion with the thorn in his paw. You should stay away, he's a LION!! But he needs you, right? Yep...he does, and that's exactly why loving Wallace's character was a no brainer for me. I also liked that Wallace was a nice guy, not your common brooding/strong bad boy. (Although, *clears throat* she may have that in the works...just guessing *wink*)

Lastly, I'll admit, I don't read a lot of paranormal, and I liked that this one wasn't heavy on a paranormal world. However, I think that will probably change with subsequent books. But I'm already hooked, so no biggie. I'm in, because guess what...Wallace has a brother!!!!!! Yeah...I'll be reading his book too.

Be sure to come back Friday, because the amazing Carrie Butler will be answering some questions about STRENGTH, what's coming up, and her amazing marketing skills. (She's got that down to a science!!)

Also, this is a new adult book because it is set in college, but I totally feel like it would be appropriate for a teenage reader. :)

Purchase it for your KINDLE, or Kindle App. (right now!)



 
© My Writing Blog
CoffeeShop Designs
Background Damask Pattern By Sassy Designs